Thursday, May 22, 2008

For the Holiday Weekend - Flag Etiquette


When I was a little girl our neighbors across the street, Mr. & Mrs. K, always flew a flag on all of the "flag holidays". I loved the bright colors and how it fluttered in the wind or did nothing at all, so still yet so vibrant. "Can we have one too?," I asked many times. The answer was always no.

When my husband and I bought our first home, the flag was one of the first things I purchased to adorn the outside. When we moved into our second home another was added to be flown from the deck. They are both displayed almost everyday of each summer. In fact, my next project is to put a "real" flag pole in the back yard and fly the flags I will collect from my favorite places. (That is a thrilling thought!)

Why am I posting about my flag fetish? I wanted to be sure that I was following proper etiquette for Memorial Day and thought it would be nice to share. On Memorial Day, flags are flown at half staff until noon, then they are to be raised to the top of the staff for the rest of the day.

Time to get out your flag (or purchase a new one) and get it ready to fly!

No comments: