Thursday, August 20, 2009

Homekeeping Dreaming

I spent some time tonight paging through Martha Stewart's Homekeeping Handbook. It is a book filled with information about ANYTHING you ever wanted to know about "keeping house". I have a fascination with "keeping house". When I was in the 8 to 5 world, I would daydream at my desk about organizing, cleaning and repairing whatever needed to be fixed in my house. Sometimes I would even come home at lunch time and clean out a drawer or organize a corner of the garage, pull weeds or clean a bathroom. I also talked to my co-workers about the joys of laundry and ironing and gave them helpful hints like not adding fabric softener while washing towels (the towels dry your body better that way).

As I was cleaning under and around the stove yesterday, I thought of Martha. I remembered I had this book and pulled it off the shelf.

Martha writes in the opening paragraph that she started to research and compile information many years ago when she realized that homekeeping, homemaking and housekeeping were her favorite subjects. Since leaving the 8 to 5 world I had forgotten that they are some of my favorite subjects as well. Thanks for reminding me. I didn't (and still don't) have a "routine cleaning" and "periodic maintenance" list as Martha does in the book. Hmmm - I think I want one.

1 comment:

SAS said...

I have the same dreams about decorating. I too love to organize. Even more I love to TOSS IT OUT!! I love this post, by the way!