Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The beginning...

There is something so inspiring about the beginning of the year. A new beginning and a fresh start. I am so inspired and I feel so clean and clear now. It is wonderful.

Today is day two of WoYoPracMo. I started off with a warm bath this evening. It is very cold here in the north and I have been chilled to the bone most of the day. Yoga in the bath tub is a new thing for me. Obviously, I am unable to do a lot but it is amazing what you can do!

Today I was feeling very much the same about my practice as yesterday. My body really wanted forward folding. I started out in child's pose again with the sandbag on my lower back. Child's pose is not one of my favorites - too much surrender I think. I really focused on letting go, which was my intention - JUST LET GO! Then I moved into table with the sandbag still in place and did some simple spine warm-ups, then into down dog. Up high on the "necks" of the toes again and then into half down dog.

I like to take my down dog into Uttanasana by just stepping my feet up. Then into Padangusthasana back to down dog and then to lunges then back to down dog. From down dog to Warrior II and then Trikonasana and that's it for the standing! Then to what I crave - seated forward folds.

Started out in Janu Sirsasana resting my torso on both sides of my leg then up to Baddha Konasana. Next was Parivrtta Janu Sirsasana. Next, lotus preps for the most delicious pose of all, Ardha Baddha Padma Paschimottanasana. I could stay here forever but then came Marichyasana I, another winner, and then to Paschimottanasana. I followed that up with Marichyasana III and then a new one I have never done before, Urdhva Mukha Paschimottanasana. Iyengar write in Light On Yoga that it relieves severe backaches. After doing it, I would agree. My back has been a little sore and it felt great after that pose. Then legs up the wall. I really felt the surrender in my body. I think the great bolster helps too. Finally Savasana.

Before I go to sleep I will finish off with some guided pranayama from Laura. I like Breathing the Body. That should help me on my way to a great night of sleep.

My practice today is dedicated to two sweet little kids, Sierra and Zack. Feel better soon!

No comments: