Tuesday, January 1, 2008

January 1 - Day One

This day did not go as I expected it would. Lesson #1 for the New Year, have no expectations! Hubby and I spent most of the day getting the family room ready for the new TV. Rearranging, clutter clearing, organizing - big day. Around 4:00 my mother-in-law came over for dinner. Then I made dessert (I'll post the recipe later - my favorite), and then we plopped ourselves down on the sofa to partake in the end of The Twilight Zone marathon (with tea - Evening in Missoula from TeaSource). I was a fabulous day but it wasn't over yet - my yoga mat was waiting!

Since the day was very active and I was very tired I decided to focus on soothing asanas for tonight - my favorite - seated poses and seated forward folds.

I started out in child's pose with a sandbag on my lower back and set my intention - that this is the first of 31 (and hopefully forever more) wonderful practices.

I then moved into down dog and gave myself a good stretch. I love to do something Jo Zukovich taught in a workshop. Get up really high on the "necks" of the toes and point the sit bones up toward the ceiling. My down dog has never been so fabulous!

Next came Baddha Konasana at the wall and then into a forward fold - ahhhh. Followed up with Marichyasana I, Janu Sirsasana, and Paschimottanasana. All part of my favorite forward folding series. I stayed in each one for quite some time - loving every moment. Then onto Apanasana followed by Jathara Parivartanasana. Ending with legs up the wall - for a long time :-) and then Savasana. So interesting - when I was in legs up the wall - all I could think about was this new year and all the things I want to do. Instead of relaxing and preparing for sleep - I was doing just the opposite.

Time to turn in. Great day, great practice. Can't wait until tomorrow.

My practice tonight is dedicated to my friend Sarah.

No comments: