Saturday, January 5, 2008

Prop, Surrender, Restore

Wow - another day gone by! It's 10:00pm and practice not yet complete. It will be the same practice as yesterday - Restorative Child's Pose and Legs Up the Wall followed by a long Savasana.

Usually, I am not one for restorative poses. I have a hard time letting go - surrendering. I want to be in control. I want to hold my body here and there. I am not a big fan of props and you use A LOT of props in restorative yoga. I get irritated folding blankets. I get irritated trying to place the props in the proper places. I also have a sensitivity to wool and all the wool particles flying around in the air make my skin crawl. All around, restorative does not leaving me feel restored - except for last night.

I took my favorite bolster - the one that started out as my favorite because I like how it looks - and put it on top of an over-sized body pillow on top of my bed and got into restorative child's pose. It took about 20 seconds for me to let go and relax - new record! I was shocked, I was elated, I was TIRED! After that I moved to the floor and did into legs up the wall with the same bolster (which is now more to me than just pretty to me - I actually like using this bolster). Then pushed my body off the bolster and rested my legs on the bolster in Sukasana. It was then time for SAVASANA. Another one I often find challenging - the whole surrender thing again. I must have surrendered because it felt great!

The props may not be so bad after all :-)

Oops! I forgot to dedicate my practice last night. I dedicate it to ME!

My practice tonight is dedicated to my friends Tammy and Aleia - having fun in Hawaii!

Good night.

2 comments:

Yogamum said...

I've always had trouble with restorative poses but had never thought of it as related to my control-freakiness. Hmmmm...food for thought!

Marya said...

I love that you are dedicating your practice. Another great new thing for me to try!